Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group

Today is the first Wednesday of the month and so comes time for our monthly Insecure Writer's Support Group.

Thank you to our host Captain Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh Every month writers post their doubts, concerns and insecurities without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Others offer assistance and guidance in the comments.

For a full list of participants click here and hop on over to offer your own words of encouragement and/or assistance.






As I'm editing one book and writing another I come to realize the insecurity of sharing my work with others will never disappear. The closest thing I can compare it to is showing your first born to the world for the first time, the world making a face and pointing a finger, asking "What is that?".

*hesitates* Me: "It's my baby."
The World: "That's one ugly baby."
*eyes gloss over* Me: "How can you say that about MY baby?"
The World: "Because it's ugly."
*tears begin to stream* Me: "It's so mean of you to say you don't like my book think my baby is ugly, take it back. Read it again. Look at him/her again."

This conversation goes on for a while until I have the world convinced my book is awesome baby is the cutest baby in the world.

So, what are your insecurities this month? Are you afraid someone will call your baby ugly *aka not like your book*?

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They have and I just figured they weren't my target reader.
That feeling never goes away, but we can't let it stop us either.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I feel terrible when I send my babies out into the world, because they're so young and innocent and until that point they've only been cuddled by me (not literally you understand, that would be weird!) You just have to keep making babies!! *giggles*

Shelly said...

Its even scarier when you publish your baby for the whole world to see.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

DL Hammons said...

I'm sure you have beautiful babies. ALL of them! :)

Anonymous said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or writer/reader, as the case may be. Nice post!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yeah, we can't please everyone... but the fear remains ;)