Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group

It's that time of the month again. Each first Wednesday of the month, writers and authors post their Insecurities.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.
Click here for the linky list.

It's been a busy month. I've managed to pull through the A-Z Challenge, catch up on a LOT of my writing and make new connections.  In the background of blogging and writing, something else has been happening too, which led me on a small roller coaster.  I've been getting reviews on Goodreads. 

One day, I'm down, another day I'm up.

I cannot believe what a good word from a reader can do to a writer's soul. The good reviews are awesome and directly correlate to how much I can write in a day.  The not so good reviews, well, they're not so good. I'm told a 3 star review is still ok, and the comments are encouraging when the reader says they enjoyed the book, but still, it's a 3 star.

See, I come from a school of A's and A+. Getting used to the lower reviews and the fact that not everyone will enjoy my writing takes a while. How do I stop looking at the reviews? Perhaps when I have hundreds of reviews and the average stops changing so much it will help? I don't know.

So, that's my insecurity this month. Paying too much  attention to the reviews, taking them to heart.

If you're a writer, how do you handle your reviews? If you're a reader, how much attention do you pay to the reviews?

This is a blog hop. Click here for the linky list.

Happy Hopping!

8 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm envious that you're getting reviews, because I am not. I've got about 5 on Goodreads and two each on Amazon and Amazon UK.

So be proud that you are getting repsonses. Even very bad reviews draw readers, because they are curious - and you're not getting very bad ones, just 'not so good' ones, sometimes.

My advice would be don't take them too much to heart. The less good ones could just be disheartened readers who are jealous!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I look at it in terms of grades as well. I don't like C's. Just don't focus on the bad ones. If you see a common issue in them, then learn from it. Otherwise, just chalk it up to that person wasn't your intended audience.

LynnRush said...

Hang in there, my friend. I've got DNFs (did not finish) to five stars....not everyone is going to like your stories. It might sting a little, but I think about it and realize I've not finished books before, too. Nothing against the author, it just wasn't my cup of tea. No worries.

Write on, my friend.

Allison said...

I often look at Goodreads reviews when I'm considering reading a book. I take a look at the positive ones, and look at the bad ones to see if the book is actually bad or if it just wasn't the reader's style. I agree with Alex, be encouraged from the good ones, learn from the bad!

Allison (Geek Banter)

Cherie Reich said...

I'm with you. I was a mostly A student in school, so I keep thinking of my star-ranking the same as I would to a school grade.

I think being able to handle reviews better just takes time.

As a reader, I do pay attention to reviews, if I'm on the fence about buying a book. Then, I'll often sample the book too. And yet, you can't pay too much attention to reviews because many of the books I absolutely loved, others hated.

It really comes down to that we put our works out there for the people who love it, not the ones who don't.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I haven't had to deal with reviews as yet. It's not something I'm looking forward to ;)

Anonymous said...

Making the rounds after the A to Z Challenge to say hello!

I've not had to worry about reviews yet, so I'm not able to share my experiences.

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Polly Iyer said...

I'd like to know a writer who isn't insecure about something. I write under two names, so I have double the insecurities. You do become inured to the less than favorable reviews. I will read it once, then never again unless I can learn from it. But really bad reviews have little to do with constructive criticism. They're written by people who have no idea how hard it is to write a book. They should try it sometime. I'm sure they would write reviews with more compassion.