Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricanes

It's grey, dark and wet and it will remain like this for a week!

Blah!

Not liking this weather.

I hope everyone in Sandy's path will keep safe and warm. They're calling it the storm of the century and I'm not liking it. In fact, I'm a bit worried. The area we live in is flood prone so I'm sure there will be a lot of wet basements in the City. Plus 90 km/hr winds Monday and Tuesday - not pretty.

Thankfully, we're quite a bit higher than the river so it's unlikely that it will be bad. My bigger concern is power failure and sump pumps not working, which of course would flood us. We've been able to effectively divert the water away from the house by extending our downspouts and the pump has been quiet the past few big rain falls.

I have purchased a bit more water for the house than usual and stocked up the pantry. Got to get the hubby to prepare some flashlights and candles. Hey, you never know! We've had power outages before (not long ones) It's when you least expect it that it hits you.

I'm sure it would be a great day to write and work but I have to drive 75km this morning (one way) to see a doctor. I'm hoping to be back by noon and miss the biggest winds. Fingers crossed.

Are you in Sandy's path? Have you done anything to prepare?




6 comments:

Shelly said...

Stay safe.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you don't get flooded! Sandy has already passed us although we are still experiencing wind gusts.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Hope you stay safe! I've been watching the pictures on the news, and the sea looks rough, but haven't seen too much damage.

michelle said...

I've been watching CNN. The devastation is unbelievable. I hope and pray that you and your family are okay.

cleemckenzie said...

I'm one of those Californians waiting for rain, something we sorely need out here. We could have used a bit of what Sandy brought to the east coast, so maybe we need to negotiate with the weatherman for better distribution in the future.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I hope you didn't get flooded and everything is okay for you.