Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group



Each first Wednesday of every month, writers post their doubts, concerns and insecurities without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Others offer assistance and guidance in the comments. Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brain child of Captain Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh.

For a full list of participants click here and hop on over to offer your own words of encouragement and/or assistance.


For the past few months I've been writing more than I thought I ever would, but I keep feeling like it's still not enough. I write under two pen names (which I find very therapeutic as they are two different genres and styles of writing) and each time I finish a book or a short story and launch it, I feel like there's a push on my back to keep going, start another project. And I do.

So what's the problem? I spend little time promoting. Yes, building the backlist is important, but I'm not sure whether 10 or 20 extra titles these days will help to be seen in an ocean of books. I feel like a little sardine, and if you add another 20 sardines beside me, it would still be hard to find us.

As I pass my goal of the number of titles published this year (9 total - 5 are short stories), I begin to wonder how long it will take until I can keep my sales sustained to have an income to support my family. That's my goal. Sales have been steadily increasing, but it's at a 'snail's pace'.

Friends who don't understand publishing say that one day I'll "hit it big" and I can stop writing.
I felt stabbed in the heart and I asked why would I stop writing. I can see myself doing this until I no longer can. But I need to keep my options open. The kids need university tuition and that's not going to grow on one decent income (hubby's).

So, to others out there, do you have similar goals? Is there a secret to promoting?

12 comments:

Shelly said...

People really don't understand. A lot of friends seem to think I'll become rich and famous. ***shaking my head***

Secrets to promotion? ***shrugs*** Pretty soon I'll be in the same sea. Working on perfecting my book and writing the next one along with some short stories.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Linda King said...

Promoting scares me! It seems such a big responsibility. I guess it's about looking for every opportunity and taking it. Best of luck! My list of followers isn't huge and I've been neglecting my blog, but I aim to rectify that, so if I can help promote something for you, I will. Linda

Annalisa Crawford said...

That's my goal too, but I'm a long way from it. Promoting is a fine line between too much and not enough - I think I, too, am on the not enough side. If you figure it out, I'd love to hear about it :-)

stu said...

To be honest, I've stopped worrying about it so much. I tend to filter out all the people who are obviously promoting something, so just talk to them.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You don't look like a sardine.
No idea what the secret is. I've just kept myself visible since the first book. Of course, my publisher does a lot of promoting as well.

M.J. Fifield said...

I have no idea what the secret to promoting is.

And as much as I would love to 'hit it big', my goals are more along the lines of "just get it out there!"

Maybe someday that'll change.

Nancy Thompson said...

I swear, the marketing is the very hardest part. I want to write another book right away, but I find I'm too pressed for time trying to market the first one. I have to build some kind of following so that when I do release #2, it will sell with a bit less effort. Still, it's all such a challenge. Wish I had as many titles as you!

Ciara said...

Marketing is tough. I wish I knew the magic secret. I thought I had a lot of books published last year, but you put mine to shame. :) That's awesome.

DL Hammons said...

Secret to promoting...my take...Time + Effort! It takes a lot of both!! :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Promoting takes so much time! As you know I'm in the middle of my Make Believe tour and it's taking up so much time that I won't have any left to write this month. But I'll get back to writing in January and that sustains me.

Unknown said...

I think we all share the same problem! Marketing is a tough call. I released my first book without a blog or any following, but it seemed to find an audience on its own.

Unknown said...

People who don't write don't understand that it is not an endgame with a stopping point. This is our creativity, something that we have todo for ourselves to sustain our hearts. I have no doubt that you will make it, but I know you will never stop, that you will always strive to better your craft. I struggle with my own sales which seem to drop sharply after a spike upon a new release. I need to sustain and increase.